Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Wait on the Lord

I have never liked waiting--nor have I been good at it--yet I find myself waiting a lot these days.

Most of all, I am waiting to rock a baby to sleep in my arms and sing lullabies and wipe tears and calm tantrums until we get pregnant or get chosen for an adoption.
I don't think anyone can escape this life without having to, at some point, wait for something that they really really want.  A child, a job, a cure, a loved one's change of heart...a spouse.

Several of my best friends are not married.  They'd like to be.  A few of them appear to be on their way (very serious boyfriends); others have suffered recent disappointments.  They are beautiful, kind, intelligent, and talented.  They are spiritual, selfless, funny, and capable.

And yet they wait.  They wait and hope and work for something that is almost entirely out of their control.

A phrase that has fascinated me in my recent scripture study is "waiting on the Lord."  One thing that I love about online scriptures is that I can type in a search term and easily read all of the references that relate to my query. 

When I enter "wait on the Lord," I get 47 results, and I have thought about many of those verses at different moments in the last few months. 

Lately, I have been thinking about this one:

"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."  Isaiah 40:31

Waiting for our baby is the hardest thing I've ever done, and sometimes I wonder if I can continue doing it.  I need the Lord to "renew [my] strength."  I need Him to help me "mount up with wings as eagles," so I can see a view of my life from a higher, more eternal perspective and feel the exhilaration of His love.  I need Him to help me run this endurance race "and not be weary...and not faint." 

We are all waiting for something.  We've been promised that we can bear it.  Sometimes I'm not so sure...but then I remember these scriptures, and I remember...

We can do it.

5 comments:

  1. I was hoping you would post this.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - I'm a friend and reader of Erin's blog and she reposted this today. Which led me to your blog. It is beautiful! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and inspirations and I hope you don't mind that I continue to check in.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily,
    so glad you enjoy it. Please continue to read and follow allow. That's what it's here for! :)
    -Elise

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least we're waiting with wonderful men. Hopefully in a few short (loong) months you will be rewarded for your wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your post. I too am waiting for a baby and have been for 3+ years. Just did my second IVF cycle that ended in miscarriage yesterday. Oh boy. What now?

    Trusting in the Lord when the reality makes absolutely no sense is hard. But trust we must.

    ReplyDelete