Monday, October 3, 2011

Where is Your Faith?

Did you get a chance to listen to the LDS General Conference at the beginning of October? If not you can listen to it or read it here.

There were so many inspiring and uplifting words spoken. One talk in particular stood out to me. It was given by Elder Neil L. Anderson.

He spoke about families and having children. It was a great reminder to me that no couple has the same experience with starting a family. His story of the couple that didn't have the opportunity to adopt until they were well into their 40's reminded me of something a friend once said to me.

"It's my experience that no one gets pregnant when/how they want to. It's either too quickly or not soon enough.."

I was just talking to a friend about her adoption process. She told me about support classes she and her husband went to. At these groups every couple was in a different situation. Some couples had already adopted children, some couples had children naturally but for various reason could no longer have children of their own. Other couples had never had the chance to have children yet.

It was just another example of how unique all of our situations are.

I also loved Elder Anderson's quote from President Kimball, "Where is your faith?". Whether it's a couple that wants children and it is taking a long time to receive them or a couple that can have children but isn't sure they're ready for them, the question is the same, "Where is your faith?". Do we believe that when the Lord speaks to us he will be true to his word. Do we remember Abraham and many other righteous individuals in the scriptures who were required to wait patiently on the Lord for the blessing of children?

Although no one on earth can fully comprehend another's situation, there is one that not only understands our situation, but knows how it will end.

Elder Anderson closed his talk with this promise:
"As the Lord’s servant, I assure you that this promise is certain: 'Faithful members whose circumstances do not allow them to receive the blessings of eternal marriage and parenthood in this life will receive all promised blessings in the eternities, [as] they keep the covenants they have made with God.'”
"Let us humbly and prayerfully seek to understand and accept God’s commandments, reverently listening for the voice of His Holy Spirit."

I know the Lord loves me and is aware of my desires. I know he will bless me.
So I have to ask myself the question:
Do I TRUST Him enough?

2 comments:

  1. I too loved this talk in conference! Hi Elise...I am Leanna...Carolyn's older sister...the Dellenbach girls from the Norco ward back home. Your sister Jeanine and I knew each other in high school and we even worked together in college...and she referred me to your site! My heart aches for you and this ongoing trial of infertility. I am grateful to have found your blog. It is helping me overcome my own trials...so thank you for your uplifting words. I appreciate your insights very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leanna! oh the good old Corona/Norco days. I'm glad you found the blog. My husband and I actually had a little boy a couple months ago after a lot of prayers and faith. After knowing so many great women that have gone through similar situations I feel like its important to keep this blog going, especially since infertility can be an ongoing trial even if you happen to get pregnant once. I hope all is going well for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete